Dismissal & Transportation Notes
Drivers: If you are a driver at dismissal, please follow the driving line rules. When you don’t, it makes dismissal difficult (and is very frustrating to the folks who are working hard to follow the rules). Beyond that, it is not safe for our students and community members. Detailed guidelines were sent home in your summer mailing packet and are in our Handbook (pp. 19-20). As a driver, it is your responsibility to read them and learn them.
Here are the most important points:
- Always have your driver placard.
- Stay in your car.
- Do not cut into the line.
- Keep pulling forward as much as possible whenever possible.
- If there is no room for you to enter the line, loop around the block and try again.
- Be kind and calm. If driving at dismissal frustrates you, this is understandable! Instead, park your car on a nearby block and walk to pick up your child.
School Bus Students: Remember to keep our Transportation FAQs handy for detailed information on what to do when you encounter bus issues. You can also refer to our Transportation page on the website or school bus information in the Handbook (p. 21).
- Durham Bus Dispatch (for real-time information while bus routes are running): 215-537-5405
- School District Transportation Office (for reporting problems with bus routes): 215-400-4350
- ICS Transportation desk (for all non-urgent questions about routes and dismissal plans): 215-238-8000 x7000
Although I will be adding additional resources and content all year, our new website already has most info that you might need to access on a daily basis (except the Staff Directory—I’m still behind on that). Take some time to play with it so you can easily find what you need when you need it. The top menu items can be expanded using the little + sign next to them. Under each item are some helpful dropdown quick-links, like to the MMS portals (under MMS), or to the LunchTime portal and menus (under Cafeteria). In the mobile view, you need to hit the three lines in the top left corner to open the menu options. Also, remember that the search button (magnifying glass) is always your friend and will usually help you out if you can’t find what you’re looking for in the dropdown menus.
MMS Portal & LunchTime Portals
If you need your child’s ID number to set up your MMS account (for tracking grades & attendance for upper grade students) or your LunchTime account (for anyone who purchases school meals), you can reply to this email or call the front desk during the day between 10am-1pm. We’ll be happy to provide it to you!
We are on Facebook, Instagram (@icsgriffins), and Twitter (@icscharter).
We also have a google group where families can connect with each other and share resources. Request to join here.
Finally, we have regional groups who organize meetups close to home for families all over the city. Eventually they will be reaching out to you, but in the meantime you can contact them and request to be added to their list. Find a link to their info (and more great stuff) on our PTA’s Resources page!