PTA Meeting – Postponed
Tonight’s PTA meeting has been postponed. The PTA will let families know when Deb McCoy’s internet presentation can be rescheduled.
March Board Meeting – Cancelled
The March 8 board meeting that was tentatively postponed has been cancelled. The next board meeting is scheduled for April 19.
Cheesecakes – One last chance!
Lunch menu changes due to school closings
- Oven-baked rotisserie chicken will be served on Thursday, 3/16.
- Whole grain ravioli with marinara (vegetarian) will be served on Friday, 3/17.
- Beef BBQ riblet will be served on Monday, 3/20.
Report Card Conferences – March 24
If you have a child in K-3rd grades, look for your report card conference invitation(s) to come home in your child’s homework folder this week. If you only have children in 4th-8th grades, your conferences invitations are being mailed home over the next few days. Be sure to contact your child’s teacher ASAP to reschedule if you cannot make your scheduled conference time.
The PTA will be hosting their annual TagliaTELLe our Teachers We Love Them pasta lunch on conference day! If you can contribute a dish or help with setup, serving, or cleanup, please sign up here.
The PTA will also be offering a childcare option again during your conference–look for more details and signup info soon!
Our Take Flight students are in Ecuador and Colombia as I write this! Follow their adventures this week on their blogs: http://icstakeflight.weebly.com/
We encourage you to leave comments–the students love hearing from friends & community back home!
National History Day
This Friday our 7th & 8th graders will be presenting their National History Day projects at the citywide competition!
This year’s theme is Taking a Stand in History, and our students worked hard on websites, documentaries, and performances to document fascinating historical events and people who embody this theme.
We are thrilled to share a sampling of their work with you in our web news!
National Nutrition Month Updates
Congratulations to Devon Johnson and Thomas Awad, winners of the bike and scooter raffles! Thanks to all who took the Breakfast Challenge last week. Remember that one more lucky meal program participant will be selected at random this month for a fresh-cooked breakfast with Chef Gabe.
My family has sundried tomato & herb pasta, ginger carrot soup, and curried lentil soup on tap this week for healthy, hearty, very inexpensive meatless options. Send M. Neyza your favorite vegetarian family meal idea and she can feature it in the news this month!
- Looking for summer work? Check out the opportunities at Girl Scouts Camp!
- The Young Innovators Fair is coming June 10-11 to Oaks, PA and will feature hands-on STEM activities for K-12th grade kids.
- There will be a community discussion about the eviction crisis in Philly on April 5 in Germantown area.
- From Parents United for Public Education: Saturday, April 29, 2017 – 9am – 3pm, Saint Joseph’s University, 5600 City Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19131 – Parents from around the city are joining together for our 2nd Annual Parent Summit, a day of UNITY and Education. This summit is designed to empower family leadership in schools, unite families around the city and educate families on key education issues in Philadelphia and around the country. Don’t miss out!
- Mighty Writers El Futuro is proud to host a performance from the children’s improv theater group StoryUP! Join them this Saturday, March 18 at 12pm for a FREE family performance.
- Girls on the Run Philadelphia presents: SCREENAGERS – Thursday, March 23 at 6:30pm, Community College of Philadelphia, 1700 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130 – Girls on the Run Philadelphia invites you to a special screening at the Community College of Philadelphia of SCREENAGERS, a new award-winning documentary film that explores the messy struggles over social media, video games and Internet addiction. Following the film screening, join us for a panel discussion featuring diverse insights from academics, teachers, parents and students. Proceeds from the event will support scholarships for our Girls on the Run (GOTR) Philadelphia program participants. Empower our youth to tackle the challenges of living in relentlessly digital age. Reserve your tickets online today. The Facebook event is here.