Notice for drivers today: Walnut St. is scheduled to close between Broad & 17th from 1-8pm due to a TV event. They say the north/south-running numbered streets will still be open for traffic to pass through, but be prepared for extra Center City traffic headaches today, and avoid the area if possible.
Report card conferences are this Friday, March 24. There is no school for students.
Note that due to the PSSA schedule this year, the conference date had to be changed at the start of the school year and is different from the calendar sent home in the summer mailing. April 7 will be a normal school day.
Need childcare while meeting with your teacher? The PTA has you covered!
The PTA is again offering on-site child-watch services as a fundraiser so that you don’t have to worry about arranging child care in order to meet with teacher(s). Child(ren) (ages 3-11 years old and toilet-trained) can be dropped off for $5 per child for up to 2 hours (while the parent is inside the school). The PTA is also looking for parents and middle school students to volunteer to watch kids. Depending on the weather, the service will be in either the dance & movement room or the playground. Preregistration is required.
Parents, please use this one form to register for the service and/or to sign-up as an adult volunteer: https://goo.gl/forms/lNCP5iJBYLMfGK8r2
Middle school students interested in volunteering can use this link: www.volunteersignup.org/WLLK9
TagliaTELLe our teachers we love them!
Don’t forget to sign up to bring something yummy for the teacher’s lunch on Friday: https://www.volunteersignup.org/ACB99
If you ordered cheesecakes, thank you so much for supporting our 5th graders and their community-building camping trip!
You will be able to pick up your cheesecake between 10am-4pm in the cafeteria this Friday, March 24. Any questions, email Tr. Barb at email@example.com.
PSSA’s will begin on April 4
Check out this news article to find the complete schedule and information for families about this year’s PSSA testing for 3rd-8th grade students. If you have questions about testing, please contact Tr. Odamis.
- English Language Arts, 3rd-8th grades: April 4-April 7
- Math, 3rd-8th grades: April 25-April 27
- Science, 4th & 8th grades: May 2 & May 4
On Math & ELA testing dates, free breakfast will be available to all ICS students (all grades).
Congratulations to our National History Day competitors!
The winners of the citywide competition last week are listed below. You can find all their projects on our website (with live performances now included)!
You can also see photos of the proud winners if you visit us on Twitter.
- Zeniyah Brown, Ava McLaughlin, Charlie Brooks – Honorable Mention for group website
- Darien Alston-Baldwin, Lily Greer, Kofi Kohl – Honorable mention for group website
- Ali Shabazz, Elliot Snyder, Doyle DiStefano – 3rd place for group website
- Margaux Engel & Layla Smith – 2nd place for group website
- Tristan Dini – honorable mention for individual website
- Alex Jimenez – 2nd place for individual website
- Amira Barrett – 1st place for individual performance
- Sam Friedman & Marcel Roscioli – 1st place for group performance
- Sarah Cohen – 1st place for individual documentary
- Julian Williams – 2nd place for individual documentary
- Molly Coats, Sofia Cavicchia, Eliana Alfaro-Allah – 2nd place for group documentary
- Kate Dean – NHD Philly Educator of the Year!
Message from Tr. Kate: I’m so proud of all of these kiddos – they deserve to be celebrated!
Message from ICS: We’re so proud of all the students and of Tr. Kate & Tr. Steve! We have so much to celebrate.
Welcome Back, Take Flight Travelers!
Our travelers returned over the weekend and have brought tales of so very many adventures in global citizenship. You can read all about it on their blogs or if you want to see a spectacular summary in photos, check out this news article!
Check out this list STEM summer programs for at Penn for middle and high school students. Many are free or offer scholarships! Each has their own application process and deadline that can be found on the websites listed.
If you have friends who are facing the high school process and don’t have a Counselor Anne to help, let them know about this CCRA event next week!