ICS is growing!
Independence Charter School (ICS), a Philadelphia K-8 public charter school offering bilingual education, will be embarking on a $9 million, 25,000 square-foot facility expansion designed to enhance ICS’ ability to serving a diverse community of learners. With this renovation, ICS will have its first gym and auditorium, a larger, light-filled cafeteria, rooftop playground and ground-level play area, four additional classrooms, and additional office and meeting space. Construction will begin following the 2018-19 school year, and is slated for completion by August 2020.
“We are excited that current and future students will have more space to meet the breadth of our academic, co-curricular and extra-curricular programs. Our aim is to create a comprehensive educational facility that best delivers on the values and commitments on which ICS was founded.”
—Tanya Ruley-Mayo, ICS CEO
Families and the ICS community were invited to a groundbreaking ceremony on June 6. You can find highlights from the event below!
Help us grow great global citizens.
Over the past 17 years, ICS has gathered families from diverse neighborhoods and backgrounds across Philadelphia. We have remained strong in our commitment to Global Citizenship—ideals that reflect our commitment to celebrating diversity, empowering student achievement, and cultivating a safe and respectful learning environment for all our families.
Help us keep growing global citizens.
Your donation in any amount towards the ICS Annual Fund is an investment towards lifelong learning for a student at ICS! Here are examples of how far your gift can go:
- $2,100 – sponsors a 7th grader to participate in Take Flight, a life-changing program which sends qualifying students to Latin America for a week of service, learning, community building, and travel.
- $1,000 – upgrades a Spanish classroom library
- $500 – upgrades a classroom’s technology
- $150 – sponsors a student in an extracurricular activity (play, music, sports)
- $50 – supports classroom enhancements to aid Special Education student progress
- $25 – covers the cost of a student on a cultural field trip