April PTA Meeting – Climate & Culture Update
November 9, 2016 Board Meeting
Presenting your notes from the PTA on the ICS Board Meeting. CEO Tom sent out a summary of the information from the board meeting to all families on Tuesday November 15. He also provided electronic copies of his presentations for us to share here on the PTA website. Links are embedded in the meeting notes as taken by PTA members.
November PTA Meeting
Save the date now for the November PTA meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 16, featuring an exploration of inclusivity and perspective led by Teacher Shavon and Principal Kristen.
Pretzels to Pollock
We are in the home stretch for our PledgeCents campaign. We have only 11 days left in the campaign and have passed our goal with $2,279 to date! Thank you so much to all who have helped spread the word by sending the link out to others. If you haven’t already, please consider donating—-every little bit helps! Remember, the purpose of Pretzels to Pollock is for the PTA to earn more profit from the pretzel sales to support the classrooms and Arts education at ICS. We would like to thank those who have already donated and helped us to reach our goal.
A warm thank you to:
|The Pase Family||Tr. Ericka Morris|
|The Schuler-Leuner Family||The McNamara-Jones Family|
|The Burton-Simons Family||The Egen Family|
|The Terry Family||CEO Tom Scheid|
|The Maher Family of Benjamin’s Desk||The Czapka Family|
|The Szymkowski Family||The Howard Family|
|The Sohlich-Miller Family||The Korom-Djakovic Family|
|The Sevrukov Family||The Uricochea Family|
|The Ricci Family||The Burton Family|
|The Eisenstein Family||The Romaine Family|
|The Clegg Family||The McLoyd Family|
|The Roberts Family||The Schmid Family|
|The Toussaint Family||The Cohen Family|
Thanks to the aforementioned families, we have passed our goal of $2,200. We will continue to accept donations for this project until Nov. 12, 2016 so you can still donate if you want below!
October 19, 2016 Board Meeting
Presenting your notes from the PTA on the ICS Board Meeting. CEO Tom sent out a nice summary of the information from the board meeting to all families on Friday October 21. He also provided electronic copies of his presentations for us to share here on the PTA website. Links are embedded in the meeting notes as taken by PTA members.
Visit the PTA Resources page for old board meeting notes, the PTA Online Store, membership, and more.
May 25 PTA Meeting
PTA End of Year Picnic and Wrap-up
The PTA’s final event of the year will be a picnic potluck next Wednesday, May 25. They will be searching for new officers! If you have been thinking of getting more involved with the PTA and would like to see if there is an officer role that matches your interests, email us for more info.
The annual PTA silent auction is just a couple of months away and we need you to help organize it. Click through the above link for Donation Forms. Committees are forming in the following areas:
Food Prep, Registration/Check In, Check Out, Bar, Communication, Donations Procurement, Donations Database, Games, Decoration, Baskets, Teacher Times, Class Art Projects, Dessert Contest
We do a lot of work, but we also have a lot of fun and try to raise a lot of money to support ICS. Stay tuned to this space for more information and our super popular online summer camp auction.
Feb. 1 PTA Meeting
Topic: Climate and Culture
Principal Kristen, A.P. Renée, Counselor Anne and Tr. Naki led a conversation on climate and culture at ICS. You can replay the meeting stream here.
Skip ahead to the 6:25 mark to start.
- School Climate & Culture
- Dimensions of School Climate
- Behavior Matrix
- Bullying Prevention and Awareness
At the next ICS Board Meeting on Wed. December 9th the Board of Trustees will consider and approve the new strategic plan. This plan is a comprehensive plan that was developed over the last year with great input from faculty, staff, administration and the ICS community.
You can review the Strategic Priorities document here (English).
PTA Membership Drive: Classroom Contest
38 Families joined the PTA as a part of our November Membership Drive!
- Coming in 1st and winning a pizza party: M. Luz Marina’s class.
- 2nd with a snack party coming their way: M. Myriam’s class.
- And pretzels for 3rd place: M. Amaya/Martha’s class.
Thanks to all who joined and made this effort a success. If you haven’t, you can still visit the PTA store and join.
Nov. 17 PTA Meeting
Topic: Common Core
You can replay the meeting stream here.
Skip ahead to the 28:45 mark to start.
Regional Meetups – Connect with ICS in YOUR Neighborhood!
Want to attend school events but can’t make them? Hope to hear more ICS news but find it hard to keep up? Wish to know your fellow ICS parents better but haven’t found the chance? We hear you!
The PTA is working to bring ICS closer to you, by forming regional groups and hosting regional events! Why? Because getting to 16th & Lombard isn’t always easy. Because pick-ups and drop-offs can be a blur. Most importantly, because an active and informed parent community makes for a stronger school.
The Independence Charter School PTA is part of the National PTA, which advocates for children’s issues and concerns. The ICS PTA works on the following:
- The KEEP ICS STRONG Project is a group of parents, staff and board members committed to putting our heads and hands together and turning a tough situation into opportunities to build a stronger and more-united ICS. If you’d like to help with your time, ideas, and energy, please tell us here (o aqui en Español)! We need help with fundraising, community outreach, technology, grant research & writing, and more.
- Annual fundraising events: The PTA manages several yearly fundraisers, including our SILENT AUCTION, to support many aspects of the school, such as the fine arts program, field trips, and teacher-requested programs and resources.
- Tuesday & Friday Playdates: Join us in the play yard on Tuesday and Friday afternoons during the school year (weather permitting) from 3:30-4:30 for family play time!
- Family nights: Several times a year, the PTA organizes school-wide family fun events, such as a potluck holiday celebration dinner in December and a student showcase in June.
- Monthly PTA meetings: At its monthly meetings, the PTA sponsors workshops for parents on issues relating to ICS and their children’s education. Pizza dinner and babysitting is free for all participants, and Spanish translation is usually available. Meetings are open to all.
- PTA communications: The PTA regularly communicates about volunteer opportunities and upcoming events through the ICS Weekly News.
PTA Officers for 2016/2017
- President: Sarah Eisenstein (parent of 5th and 7th graders)
- Vice President: Cindy Kwan (parent of 4th and 7th graders)
- Treasurer: Dennis Egen (parent of 2nd grader)
- Secretary: Debora DeVaughn (parent of 5th, 7th and 8th graders)
- Inclusion/Community Liaison: Amy Romaine (parent of 1st grader)
For more information or to direct a question to the PTA, email us!